Attention: You are using an outdated browser, device or you do not have the latest version of JavaScript downloaded and so this website may not work as expected. Please download the latest software or switch device to avoid further issues.

News > Alumni News > Old Stop Laura Hall née Dixon (OS 1997) wins a Cheshire Prize for Literature, 2022

Old Stop Laura Hall née Dixon (OS 1997) wins a Cheshire Prize for Literature, 2022

Author, travel writer and journalist Laura Hall née Dixon (OS 1997) has won a Cheshire Prize for Literature for her story 'Willow: A Song of the Woods'.
19 Dec 2022
Alumni News
Award-winning author, travel writer and journalist Laura Hall née Dixon (OS 1997)
Award-winning author, travel writer and journalist Laura Hall née Dixon (OS 1997)

Old Stopfordian author, travel writer and journalist Laura Hall née Dixon (OS 1997) has won the Cheshire Prize for Literature for her story 'Willow: A Song of the Woods'. The story is an environmental fable for children aged 5-9.

In 2018 Laura was also commended for her play ‘Wild Child’, about a supernatural happening in Iceland, at the BBC World Service International Radio Playwriting competition.

We were delighted to hear from Laura recently to pass on a message to Mrs Johnson:

"Please give Mrs Johnson my love. She was my English teacher and without her I would not have gone to Oxford. I now work as a travel journalist and writer and love it... I would never have done it if it wasn't for her."

Currently based in Copenhagen, Laura has written numerous books including; One Day, So Many Ways, Kinfolk Islands, TimeOut Copenhagen (2019), Footprint Reykjavik (2003-2015) and 1001 Escapes to Experience Before You Die, noting:

"As a journalist and writer, I generally focus on the region where I live: Scandinavia. I like to follow and explore local trends, behaviour and advice as a way to understand who we are, why we do what we do, and what we can learn from each other.

I also like to interview and lift up independent businesses, independent thinkers and brave people who challenge the norm. As Margaret Mead said, never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; indeed, it's the only thing that ever has.

In terms of travel writing, I believe passionately in responsible, sustainable and regenerative travel. I share this passion by highlighting authentic travel experiences in my writing, and seeking out recommendations that give something to both visitors and locals.

Alongside her books, Laura is also a contributor to numerous other publications including; Vogue Scandinavia, Kinfolk, Condé Nast Traveller, Sunday Times, BBC Travel and The Guardian. Laura is also a Consultant for VisitDenmark, VisitCopenhagen, Visit Faroe Islands, Skandinavisk and Sprout having also set up her own travel platforms i-escape kids collection and Kid & Coe.  Kid & Coe has also been nominated for multiple Webbys.

To view Laura's work you can visit her website: https://www.hellolaurahall.com/

Do you have news to share? Online SGS Community Members can now submit stories here.

Similar stories

A successful freshman year for Oliver Hague (OS 2023) More...

A fun-filled evening overlooking the Thames More...

Inspiring Q&A with the successful novelist and biographer More...

The Year 5 & 6 Choir will be in Oxford 7 - 10 June More...

Most read

Have your say

Send us your news

Contact Details

Stockport Grammar School
Buxton Road
Stockport
Cheshire
SK2 7AF

+44 (0)161 419 2408
Email Us
www.stockportgrammar.co.uk