Attention: You are using an outdated browser, device or you do not have the latest version of JavaScript downloaded and so this website may not work as expected. Please download the latest software or switch device to avoid further issues.

News > Alumni News > Blossoms bring the sound!

Blossoms bring the sound!

Stockport's much-loved band film at SGS
1 Aug 2024
Alumni News

Music rang through the halls of SGS recently as the School provided the backdrop to local indie rock band’s new video. Hitmakers, Blossoms, chose to film parts of the video to their new track ‘Perfect Me’, across our school campus. The video is out now!

Known for songs such as ‘Charlemagne’, ‘I Can’t Stand It’, and ‘Gary’, the Stockport locals wanted to show off the beauty of the area and have filmed in several other iconic locations across the town. Eagle-eyed viewers may be able to spot our Hallam Hall, Dining Hall, Library, Art Rooms and tennis courts in the video.

Providing a helping hand on the day of the shoot was Lower Sixth pupil, Will Harvey, who spent the day on work experience and helped set up the props used by the band. A performer himself, Will provides drums and backing singing for an up-and-coming local singer. Look out for Will’s name in the opening credits of the music video, a fantastic acknowledgment for his efforts on the day!

With inspirations to break into the music industry, Will said the day was invaluable:

“The day has been really interesting to see what goes on behind the scenes of a music video. It’s been great meeting the Blossoms and showing them around my school. While I do want to break into the industry myself, I hope to study Music Production at university to help give me a better understanding of the industry with a view to convert to Law and study Music Law.”

As for the band, despite gaining national fame and a burgeoning friendship with Rick Astley, they have remained true to their origins and Stockport.

They cited Fred Perry, Underbank and the sense of community as the best thing about the town and said they enjoy grabbing a pint at the Arden Arms, and getting out into the outdoors at Kinder Scout and Happy Valley following a stint away.

Having started as a band while they were at school, the members offered the following advice to anyone hoping to follow in their footsteps:

“Stay true to yourself is a big one. Trust your gut and make sure to forge your own identity. Live life, have fun and don’t forget to keep writing.”

Similar stories

Alexandra Hartemink (OS 2024) travelled to Australia to conduct marine research. More...

The latest edition of Old Stops' Review, our annual magazine featuring news from and interviews with Old Stopfordians, i… More...

SGS Open House on Tuesday 10 September at 6pm More...

Professor John Amaechi OBE was awarded an honorary degree from the University of York More...

Emily Edwards (OS 2022) represents Wales U21s More...

Most read

Alumni community spirit at its best! More...

1982 Ooxbridge Candidates

In 1980, after 493 years of the education of boys, Stockport Grammar School began the transition to become a fully co-educational school. More...

Have your say

Send us your news

Contact Details

Stockport Grammar School
Buxton Road
Stockport
Cheshire
SK2 7AF

+44 (0)161 419 2408
Email Us
www.stockportgrammar.co.uk

Legal