Attention: You are using an outdated browser, device or you do not have the latest version of JavaScript downloaded and so this website may not work as expected. Please download the latest software or switch device to avoid further issues.

News > Alumni News > Entrepreneur Turns His Hand to Filmmaking

Entrepreneur Turns His Hand to Filmmaking

Dr Vikas Shah (OS 1999) releases charming short film encapsulating Manchester's vibrant music scene
25 Mar 2024
Alumni News

The dance music craze of the 1990s has served as inspiration for many – not least for alumni Vikas Shah (OS 1999), who has turned his love of the genre into a thought-provoking short film.

He may have started out in Business, but Vikas is now thoroughly hooked by filmmaking.

“The film industry isn’t something I thought I would get into but here I am, and I love it. I didn’t think my skills would translate to making films but it turns out that the business bit of making films is what I knew how to do.”

After a chance meeting with filmmaker Simon Powell in 2012, Vikas and Simon soon begun working together. Their partnership would grow and the pair have now created a short film, Rose Gold, of which Vikas was Executive Producer. 

Rose Gold is about a girl navigating the dance music scene of the late 80s, early 90s. Filmed and set in Manchester it was a real labour of love for Vikas.

“I remember when dance music really exploded in the UK and Manchester was at the centre of that cultural revolution. The music was so different from what came before and it was so transformative. Simon had been working on the plot for a long time and we finally felt like it was time to bring the story to an audience.”

Rose Gold stars local actress Chloe Lea and was filmed on location in Manchester in August and September last year.

When asked about the route his career is taking, Vikas advised the key is to keep an open mind.

“Life will throw you curveballs and you will end up in places you never thought you would be. Keep an open mind and grab those opportunities when they present themselves.”

Vikas is currently working towards translating Rose Gold in to what he hopes will become a full-length feature film and we wish him the best of luck with this.

Watch this space!

Similar stories

Congratulations to the former General Manager of BBC Philharmonic More...

A throwback for school rugby players among you More...

Read online or download the 2022-23 edition of The Stopfordian More...

Nicholas McCarthy, who plays the left-hand alone repertoire, to play at Speech Day on 27th June 2024 More...

Hats off to Stockport for winning the Sunday Times best place to live in the northwest - fashion-forward, funky, and fam… More...

Most read

Congratulations to the former General Manager of BBC Philharmonic More...

The Hallam Driveway in 1916

In 2014, Old Stopfordian Laura Cooper explored the history of Stockport Grammar and the town in the nineteenth and twentieth centuries as part of a re… More...

Read online or download the 2022-23 edition of The Stopfordian More...

Have your say

Send us your news

Contact Details

Stockport Grammar School
Buxton Road
Stockport
Cheshire
SK2 7AF

+44 (0)161 419 2408
Email Us
www.stockportgrammar.co.uk

Legal