Attention: You are using an outdated browser, device or you do not have the latest version of JavaScript downloaded and so this website may not work as expected. Please download the latest software or switch device to avoid further issues.

News > Alumni News > Old Stop Serves A Sprinkle Of Practical Magic!

Old Stop Serves A Sprinkle Of Practical Magic!

Sophie McCumesky (OS 2005) delivers childcare reimagined for modern families through her successful business, Practically Family.
13 Oct 2023
Alumni News

As a working mum of two children, I know how important it is to find childcare where your children feel happy, safe and secure, but that can also flex around you and your family’s needs. Being a parent now is totally different to what it used to be, and life rarely fits the traditional 9-5. 

When I was working as a teacher, I could see how parenting had moved on, but how childcare had failed to keep pace. So back in 2015, I decided it was time to change the status quo and I set up Practically Family to offer families a different choice – one that didn’t leave you feeling guilty, have you hurtling around town to avoid a late fee, or pleading for favours from family whilst juggling the headache of school holidays. 

Beginning life as a bespoke wraparound childcare service, spurred on by the continued demand for ‘around the clock’ childcare, we were quickly a runaway success and realised that we needed to expand to meet the demands of modern families looking for something different. 

Six years ago we set up our destination Holiday Clubs before creating our one of a kind nursery, The POD in 2019 and needing to stretch our arms, legs and imaginations, moved to a much bigger site at the start of 2022.

Our Holiday Clubs are growing and have recently moved to a second site at Greenbank Preparatory School. They are as unique as the children who attend, with a wide range of activities, designed to cater to everybody’s interests. From den builders to big gamers, budding bakers to portrait painters, we understand that kids are unique, creative and adventurous. They want to spend their school holidays discovering something new and exciting, going on an adventure with new friends and old frien ds, building their confidence and most importantly, having fun! Our Holiday Clubs are a true adventure! 

This Summer, we also welcomed Jasmine Zaki (OS 2024), to our Holiday Club team. A previous attendee of Holiday Club she knew exactly what was required and brought all of her energy, smiles and joy to share with the children. A wonderful addition to our team!

Childcare shouldn't be a worry, and I'm incredibly proud that we've been able to find a solution that can flex to the diverse needs of families.

Similar stories

A successful freshman year for Oliver Hague (OS 2023) More...

A fun-filled evening overlooking the Thames More...

Inspiring Q&A with the successful novelist and biographer More...

The Year 5 & 6 Choir will be in Oxford 7 - 10 June More...

Most read

Have your say

Send us your news

Contact Details

Stockport Grammar School
Buxton Road
Stockport
Cheshire
SK2 7AF

+44 (0)161 419 2408
Email Us
www.stockportgrammar.co.uk