Attention: You are using an outdated browser, device or you do not have the latest version of JavaScript downloaded and so this website may not work as expected. Please download the latest software or switch device to avoid further issues.

News > Alumni News > Antonia Mills explores careers at RAF Coningsby. Thanks to Air Cdre Mike Baulkwill & colleagues

Antonia Mills explores careers at RAF Coningsby. Thanks to Air Cdre Mike Baulkwill & colleagues

Thank you to Old Stop Air Commodore Mike Baulkwill (OS 1988) & colleagues who supported SGS pupil Antonia Mills in exploring her interest in RAF careers on a residential at RAF Coningsby this summer.
14 Sep 2022
Alumni News

Sixth Form Pupil Antonia Mills explored her interest in potential RAF policing and piloting careers on a residential visit to RAF Coningsby this summer, under invitation by Old Stopfordian Air Commodore Mike Baulkwill (OS 1988) and his colleagues.

The visit enabled Antonia to spend time across the base, which included time spent in a Typhoon cockpit and lunch in the Officers' Mess!

Reflecting on the experience, Antonia told us:

At Coningsby I met some great members of the RAF Police team, including a Wing Commander, who took me on an interesting tour around the base and gave me the opportunity to ask many, many questions about all aspects of the RAF and policing (which I did).

Next I got to meet and watch the police dogs doing some impressive sniff exercises and obedience/agility training. After that was lunch in the Officers’ Mess (a rare experience for a mere Air Cadet!).

Then, arguably the best part of the day - the Typhoon tour.  An enthusiastic Flight Lieutenant pilot gave me a briefing about the Typhoons at Coningsby and their job.  Next we went to the hangar and I was shown and told about every fascinating detail on the typhoon… and even got to sit in the cockpit!!

Overall, a day so brilliant I struggle to put into words and I’m endlessly grateful for the opportunities and support given to me through school, Air Cadets and the RAF.

Thank you!

The visit was made possible thanks to former Stockport Grammar School pupil, Air Commodore Mike Baulkwill (OS 1988), and his colleagues' generosity in taking the time to discuss career routes and options in the RAF with Antonia, and making the visit possible.  Additionally, Antonia's enthusiasm and determination to reach out for information enabled the invitation to be made.

You can read more about Air Commodore Mike Baulkwill's fascinating career here.

Pictured: Old Stopfordian Air Commander Mike Baulkwill MA BEng (Hons) RAF (OS 1988)

The Wing Commander supporting Antonia's visit noted:

It was a pleasure to host Antonia at RAF Coningsby and I hope it’ll help inform and shape her future career options as she progresses through A-Levels and onto the next chapter.

The guidance, support and connections provided by the Old Stopfordian community is an invaluable resource to Stockport Grammar School pupils and recent leavers, one which the school is most grateful for.  If you think you can support a smiliar programme please contact the Stockport Grammar School External Relations Team on 0161 419 2408 or email externalrelations@stockportgrammar.co.uk.

Similar stories

A fun-filled evening overlooking the Thames More...

Inspiring Q&A with the successful novelist and biographer More...

The Year 5 & 6 Choir will be in Oxford 7 - 10 June More...

Congratulations to the former General Manager of BBC Philharmonic More...

A throwback for school rugby players among you More...

Most read

A fun-filled evening overlooking the Thames More...

Read online or download the 2022-23 edition of The Stopfordian More...

Have your say

Send us your news

Contact Details

Stockport Grammar School
Buxton Road
Stockport
Cheshire
SK2 7AF

+44 (0)161 419 2408
Email Us
www.stockportgrammar.co.uk

Legal