Attention: You are using an outdated browser, device or you do not have the latest version of JavaScript downloaded and so this website may not work as expected. Please download the latest software or switch device to avoid further issues.

News > Alumni News > Old Stopfordian Commonwealth Gold Medallist Holly Hunt (OS 2015) visits SGS!

Old Stopfordian Commonwealth Gold Medallist Holly Hunt (OS 2015) visits SGS!

We were delighted to welcome Commonwealth Gold Medallist Holly Hunt (OS 2015) to SGS for an inspirational coaching session with the senior hockey team yesterday.
30 Sep 2022
Alumni News
Commonwealth Gold Medallist Holly Hunt (OS 2015) & Miss Withington
Commonwealth Gold Medallist Holly Hunt (OS 2015) & Miss Withington

Old Stopfordian and Commonwealth Gold Medallist Holly Hunt (OS 2015) returned to Stockport Grammar School to help inspire the next generation of hockey players leading a training session for our Senior First Team yesterday.

As part of the session Holly imparted a variety of tips to help pupils improve their skills, and spent time at the end of the session to answer questions about the sport and her journey to the Women's England and GB Team.

Talking about the day, Holly told us:

“I had such a lovely time visiting Stockport Grammar with the Grays team. It was amazing to go back to the place where I first learnt how to play hockey and to see lots of familiar staff faces.

Despite the rain, we had a great time on the pitch with the Senior First team and the U13s and I loved meeting such enthusiastic hockey players!” 

Holly attended Stockport Grammar School with her sponsor Grays, who will also be offering a discount to SGS pupils as part of the visit.

About Holly

Holly developed her love for hockey as pupil at Stockport Grammar Junior School when she was just ten years old. Throughout her time at school, her love of hockey grew and she became part of the 1st XI team that won the Girls’ School Championships in 2015.

Talking about Holly's time at Stockport Grammar School, Mrs Carroll reflected:

"Holly joined my class in the junior school in year 5, I think it was the year 2006. She had never played hockey before but it was obvious very quickly she had a talent. She played on my U11 team as a year 5 pupil and again in year 6 where she was captain. We had a very successful year, winning almost every match and conceding very few goals. Our highlight was coming 4th place in the country at the National U11 tournament.

I was lucky enough to be there in London watching the first 11 win the National Finals in 2015 when Holly was upper sixth (my daughter was also on the team). I have since followed her career and managed to see her play during the early rounds of the Commonwealth games this summer."

Since leaving Stockport Grammar School Holly has played on the Great Britain Hockey women’s squad, facing the likes of New Zealand, Australia and China in the FIH Pro League in 2019 after being placed on Great Britain’s Elite Development Programme.

In January 2022, Holly was selected to play for the Women’s England and GB Hockey Team full time and made her debut against Argentina in February 2022 where she scored her first international goal for England.

This summer Holly was selected to play for England in the Commonwealth Games and scored the opening goal in the match against Australia. The win gave England their first Commonwealth Games hockey gold.

We can't wait to see what's next for Holly, and we're very grateful for the time and advice given to pupils at Stockport Grammar School.  Thank you Holly!

Do you have a story to share?  Online SGS Community Members can now upload stories direct here.

Become an Online SGS Community Member here.

Similar stories

A fun-filled evening overlooking the Thames More...

Inspiring Q&A with the successful novelist and biographer More...

The Year 5 & 6 Choir will be in Oxford 7 - 10 June More...

Congratulations to the former General Manager of BBC Philharmonic More...

A throwback for school rugby players among you More...

Most read

Have your say

Send us your news

Contact Details

Stockport Grammar School
Buxton Road
Stockport
Cheshire
SK2 7AF

+44 (0)161 419 2408
Email Us
www.stockportgrammar.co.uk